Join us for a virtual MLK Celebration to honor the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. The keynote speaker will be Wayne Clinton.
Wayne Clinton is a long-time Ames resident, retired teacher and coach, and former member of the Story County Board of Supervisors. Clinton, who is an Iowa African American Hall of Fame inductee and also serves on the Ames Human Relations Commission, will share the impact MLK has had on his work and life. When Wayne speaks we listen and we hope you will too.
Presented in partnership with Ames/Story County MLK Celebration, including Ames Chamber of Commerce, Ames Human Relations Commission, Ames Police Department, Ames Public Library, Body of Christ Church (BCC), City of Ames, Iowa State University Library, Rotary Club of Ames, Volunteer Center of Story County, YWCA Ames-ISU, and Wayne and Edna Clinton & Family.
Related Books and Films:
Films on Kanopy (Stream free with your Ames Public Library card):
- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr : A Historical Perspective
- King: A Filmed Record
- Brother Outsider: The Life of Freedom Fighter Bayard Rustin
- A. Philip Randolph: For Jobs and Freedom – The Father of the Modern Civil Rights Movement
- I Am Not Your Negro: James Baldwin and Race in America
- Broken on All Sides: Race, Mass Incarceration, and New Visions for Criminal Justice
- Standing on My Sisters’ Shoulders:Women of the Civil Rights Movement
- Banished: A History of African American Expulsion
- The Talk: Race in America
- The Black Press: Soldiers Without Swords
- At the River I Stand: The Climax of the Civil Rights Movement
- Black America Since MLK: And Still I Rise
Ames Public Library connects you to the world of ideas through diverse and inclusive resources and programs. We welcome program proposals via our website at bit.ly/APLprogram.