Check Out & Renew
Most items may be checked out for 3 weeks. Exceptions include:
- DVDs (excluding TV DVDs), Blu-Rays, and magazines: 1 week
- TV DVDs (adult): 3 weeks
- Book Club Collection: 6 weeks
- You may have up to 1 of each of the following items at a time:
- Launchpad Tablet and Wi-Fi Hotspot.
- You may have up to 3 of each of the following types of items at a time:
- Videogame, Blu-Ray, DVD, and Music CD from the Media Box.
- You may have up to 6 TV Series (excluding Family TV Series) checked out at a time.
If the Library does not own the item you want, we may be able to request the item from a nationwide network of over 19,000 libraries. Please fill out the online request form, call Adult Services at (515) 239-5646 ext. 4, or visit at the Information Desk.
Federal census schedules, genealogical records and other historical materials can be obtained on microform. Charges vary according to the lending agency.
You can return your items to the following locations:
- Drive-up drop box in the alley behind the Library
- Walk-up drop box outside the entrance to the Library
- The Bookmobile (see the Bookmobile Schedule)
- Return oversized, bagged, or heavy items to the inside drop box by the Welcome Desk during open hours.
- Media Box items should be returned directly to the Media Box.
- Hardware including Launchpads and Wi-Fi Hotspots must be returned to a Library staff person.
Most materials may be renewed two times (if no one else has placed a request for the item):
- Online on your account
- At the self-check stations
- By calling Customer Account Services at (515) 239-5646 ext. 2 during our open hours
- In person at the Welcome Desk
Late fees are 25¢ per day per item.
You may receive a due date slip when you check out your items. If you are signed up for e-mail notifications, courtesy reminders are sent two days before an item’s due date. Overdue notices are sent shortly after your items are due and when they have been overdue for 39 days.
You are responsible for late charges whether or not you receive a due date slip, courtesy reminder, or overdue notices.
Failure to return materials and pay late fees will result in your account being turned over to a collection agency, at which point a $10 placement fee will be added to the account.
Borrowing privileges are suspended if you accumulate $10 or more in fees on a personal account or $20 or more on a family account.
If an item is lost or damaged beyond repair, your account will be charged for the cost of the item plus a $5 processing fee.