Social Media Policy
Section: Library Resources
Revised: 5/16/2013, 9/17/2015, 3/28/2019
Ames Public Library uses online social networking sites to further its mission to connect library users and community residents to the world of ideas.
The Library participates in social media to facilitate sharing of news and information about Library services, programs, and resources to the widest possible audience. They also create welcoming online spaces where library users may interact amongst themselves and with Library staff, avail themselves of certain Library services, and exchange thoughts and opinions about library-related subjects and issues in a public forum.
Ames Public Library participation in online social networks does not constitute endorsement of the content or views expressed by the participants, including staff. The Library is not liable or responsible for content posted by any participant or for any event or interaction that takes place through any online social network. The Library does not act in place of or in the absence of a parent and is not responsible for enforcing any restrictions which a parent or guardian may place on a minor’s use of these services.
The Library reserves the right to remove inappropriate content, including, but not limited to content that:
- Is profane
- Is sexual in nature
- Threatens or defames any person or organization
- Incites violence
- Violates copyright or the legal ownership interest of another party
- Promotes or advocates illegal activity
- Is repetitive, duplicative, or unrelated to the topic of the post or thread
- Promotes commercial services or products, proselytizes, or is spam
- Promotes, fosters, or perpetuates discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, age, religion, gender, gender identity, marital status, genetics, status with regard to public assistance, national origin, physical or intellectual disability, sexual orientation, or veteran status
- Reveals personally identifying information including, but not limited to: email address, phone numbers, addresses, medical information, etc.
- Is considered campaign activity
The Library disclaims any and all responsibility and liability for any content deemed inappropriate for posting. The Library is not responsible for the removal of content by online social media sites.
Expressions of Concern
The Ames Public Library Director and the Board of Trustees welcome feedback from customers. Any customer concerns will be handled promptly and courteously as detailed in the Expressions of Concern Policy.